Wednesday, April 11, 2018

New and really important


What better place and at what better time?

Since I cannot think of a suitable tactic to game the questions, you know, procrastinate, I will tackle the issue head on. 

I started the new video yesterday, Season 4, Episode 52. It is tentatively titled, Sometimes the Hero. The conceit being that since I have new media of goats clearing a patch of blackberries, a Hero-Goat scenario might provide an interesting, or at the least entertaining, alternating story line. Probably not exactly what Seth Godin had in mind with his ‘new, real and important’ criteria, but you never know. 

Until you try. And until you do. And until you start. 

Three or four episodes ago, I scripted a story line and subbed out the cartoon animation, using the FIVRR platform, to an artist who did an admirable job in 24 hours and for a mere $40. The results were, alright here is the checkoff, fun (new), semi-surreal and while not quite as important as trumps lawyer getting raided by the FBI, somewhat important to those who regularly view my videos while cycle training indoors in the world famous PowerBarn. 

It is with this back-story that we now endeavor to add more of Mr Godin’s advice to the new episode. Yes, it will certainly be new, the ‘real’ part is a little subjective, perhaps ordering on obscure, but keeping in mind that these are training videos, snipets of live racing action, routes, courses, slow motion of individual athletes riding indoors to access form, as well as time-lapses of our spectacular home in the GPNW (Great Pacific Northwest), PLUS whatever else I want to toss into the mix, I guess they are as real as it gets. It is the important element that bogs us down. 

I should be in DC shooting the circus. THAT is important. I should be scripting coping strategies and working on the screenplay. THESE (my videos) ARE NOT IMPORTANT.  Nobody is going to watch the current episode and change their lives as a result. No one will comment on FaceBook (assuming there still is one after Zuck is dismissed from his current testimony) that episode 52 of season 4 was a better episode than any from Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. Most of the folks who train in our facility, The PowerBarn, do so with their heads lowered (dripping with sweat) and eyes facing the floor, not on the $800 65” TV I bought as an upgrade last month. No one ever comments on the hours I spend on editing, the time to capture or the narrative flow. Ever. Heck the first comment on this blog - the every day streak - was yesterday from a Russian bot. 

But the production still provides me with a mission. A project that is 100% original and 99% new. I feel the same inspiration, creative zest and energy flow that I did almost 20 years ago when I produced (and directed) my first film. I think that alone qualifies as ‘real’. Real people doing unreal things. And while it may not be of universal importance.

It is to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment