Friday, April 20, 2018

More Magic




Against my better judgment I agreed to sub a class this morning. There are three of us, guys, who facilitate the pre-dawn indoor cycling madness at our local club. Classes begin, mine anyway, at 0530 sharp. I am very used to getting up at oh-dark-thirty in preparation for this, but today, as I continue to measure and manage the symptoms of the latest round of misery brought about by atrial fibrillation, I would have liked to ease into my day like a normal person. 

But it was not to be, as I consider one of my responsibilities subbing when necessary, especially since I spent way too much time yesterday booking the ToC trip that will necessitate asking for one of those other two gentlemen to sub for me next month, making the choice almost predestined. Do your best with what you have where you are. Roger that, and away we go.

I did manage a repertory 2x20 set last night in the (key word) PowerBarn, carefully spinning out at around 80% of FTP. Nice and easy, controlled and fluid. It was OK and last nights sleep, back house sitting so in a different bed once again, was light but restorative. Better, was that I had the inkling for a set this morning that might split the difference between too easy and lung bursting. I would call it Magic. 

Mostly owing to an interesting piece of data I stumbled across surrounding a phenomena called The Reminiscence Bump. We have long known (felt or sensed?) that there was something taking place in our heads (or hearts)  when we hear a song that immediately transports us back to the place and time where we associate the memories of good (or bad) events. Juxtaposing this to indoor cycling isn’t really that difficult, but selling it to the group might be, hence the magic hook. Here is how it went:

10 w/u
2 minutes standing, amending from 16-20 (standard disclaimer in effect)
1 minute seated 7/120 with 10 random seconds making the cadence number disappear (magic)
5 minutes in groove zone sweet spot with the assignment to tap into the RemBump and add the word that best describes the who/what/when and where memory association. Additionally take that word or words and add them after ‘I am”. More magic.
Repeat for one hour. 

Well, well, well, what have we done? Personally, and I shared my experience with the group (as always), my initial thoughts almost always were of people and places. I thought of Feaster at the Forum during a Stones concert, of Gordie at Sinbad’s, Bernie in The Murphys, of Jim in Carlton and of Shirley, in, well, bed. All in all, the time passed, calories were sizzled and we shared some interesting (and personal) memories. And now I feel great. More Magic. 

I should call Shirley today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment