Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Baseball as Metaphor


This will be attempt number four. Having already struck out (looking) once I will intrepidly dig in for another try. Maybe a recap might help, after all if we can’t identify where we have failed in the past, we are doomed to repeat it. Scientifically I have proven this 23,434 career times. 

My insights on karma and mens rea felt hallow, despite my, well, good intentions. 
My analysis on the current regime revealed nothing new, it only demonstrated further their particularly poignant propensity for piss poor planning. 
My treatise on why (the fuck) several hundred misguided souls staged a protest on the Washington State capitol, waving the American flag, armed with AR-15s, voicing their disapproval of bump-stock restrictions and background checks, ended badly. 

Dejected after this literary whiff, I consoled my consciousness by weed-whacking the front lawn and cleaning the tires on truck and moto. After another cup of Trader’s Joe, I checked on the upload status of the latest video to YouTube and now stand vowing atonement at the keyboard.  

Instead of political and or philosophical speculation and the tossing of metaphysical darts, probably speaking on that which I am expert is appropriate today. 

Except that now I am faced with answering one simple question. What am I expert at?

I am good at lot’s of meaningless stuff. I am very good at a few, but expert? 

The brutally honest introspection and analysis reveals, sadly, that I am truly not an expert at anything. Yikes, that hurt!

Unless you include the knowledge that it is not a prerequisite to happiness to be an expert at it. AND, see post, if and when one converts the knowledge of this elusive reality into action; The relentless pursuit of happiness through helping people, forgiveness, gratitude and loving others as ourselves (and being persistence at it) happiness is really all that counts. Deep and complete happiness. Happiness as a utility.

I am an expert at getting off the bench and back in the batter’s box. 

And this makes me very, very happy. 

Author’s note: Does any sport lend better metaphors than baseball?


No comments:

Post a Comment