Thursday, June 25, 2020

Who is Jack Kerouac

173.

Pleased with the results of round one, the long game test, I change direction and step into the unknown topography of the 'meandering.' I decide to be coy in my attempt to 'prove' that a computer based artificial intelligence algorithm is incapable of delivering qualitative, subjective opinion that satisfies a 'popular culture' inquiry. Such issues often arise during the investigative stages of operations, and as my current mission is to familiarize myself with the apparatus, its use and its potential - its strengths and weakness' - I consider this perhaps an even better criteria than the first. I envision this round as something in a Jeopardy style game, where the contestant, in this case The Helmet, must correctly answer my question with one of its own.

"This writer effectively bridged the cultural gap between the beatniks of the 50's and the hippies of the 60's. His celebrated works documented the cross-country travels of a handful of intrepid adventurers determined to eschew material-based consumerism, traditional capitalistic ideologies and middle class values, to celebrate with Zen-like mindfulness the ever present here and now."

In quick recall of specific fact, I see cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-never land. I also recognize that by intentional mimicking or subliminal transmission, many of my most honored personal characteristics are those more historically attributed to the main character of this authors most popular work. Risking the show of age, this work was first published was I was seven years old. Risking the show of inexperience, it took me another fifteen-years to add this tome to my list of books read.

How this fits into the current assignment, Operation Firecracker, is a matter of detail. We are testing a new technology, several, that could have direct implication on the success of the mission, and, one could argue, establish new procedural protocols in the never ending battle for truth, justice and the democratic way. Inside this grossly exaggerated synopsis is my work today in testing the brain-child of our woman-child plant inside a terrorist cell.

I carefully record the question in my best Art Flemming voice and place the tennis-ball sized speaker inside the Helmet. Remotely I press the play icon. I listen as the digital recording plays, satisfied with my impersonation. It takes exactly two seconds after the tape ends for the Verometer to answer, amazingly and with the requisite precise formatting, the question to the question:

"Who is Jack Kerouac?"

No comments:

Post a Comment