Tuesday, June 9, 2020

This We Shall Defend

161.

The automated voice message, the technology of which we have been fine-tuning for months, greets the caller in a sober professional tone. 

“You have reached the office of Col. G.H. Mason, please enter the five digit temporary user ID found on the upper right corner of your correspondence. Once your identification has been verified and accepted, this call will continue on our secure lines. Thank you.” 

The Warden, a seasoned and experienced bully, scans the e-mail for his PIN and enters the corresponding numerals in an agitated state of arrogance. Once the minor task has been completed, the automated voice announces that the process has been successful and to please stand-by for the Colonel. 

I give hime an extra minute on hold for general purposes.

“Warden Daniels, a pleasure to speak with you at last, I trust your call is regarding the drone test,” The software has manipulated my voice to sound like a cross between Jack Nicholson as Colonel Jessup and Sean Connery as 007. 

“It certainly is, what the heck is this about and why the hell am I hearing about this just a week before the event?” He sneers with an entitled, irritated whine. 

“Sir, we apologize for the scheduling but the Senator, the Director and the Deputy Director were all adamant about keeping this as far as possible from any possible leaks, I am sure you understand what this technology, in the wrong hands, could mean to national security. We need only thirty minutes live time to access the current capabilities of the drone and document the results.  We feel that your facility, the best of any, I might add, is the perfect venue to run the final test.” In my earpiece I hear these words as if there were ‘Stirred but not shaken and you can’t handle the truth.’ I am pleased with the voice-over. 

“This was green-lit by the Director AND the Senator?”

“It was sir. And remains so. If you require further verification I could get them onboard right now for a conference call.”

There is a pause as the Warden considers the politics involved with his decision. 

“Well, I suppose that won’t be necessary, they are busy guys. We have a brief scheduled for Thursday where I can ask a few related questions and get some protocol specifics?” 

“Yes sir, we promise as much time as necessary to ensure a flawless demonstration. We also anticipate your presence and supervision for the test itself next week, can we count on that sir? Also tomorrow I will have the official documents sent over authorizing the test on the request of the BOP and DOJ.” 

“Of course, I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“Thank you warden. I know we can count on your professional direction and unique knowledge of the site. Will there be anything else today sir? 

“No, that should get us goin’.” He says in resignation. 

“We will talk again soon sir. Semper Fi.”

“This We Shall Defend. Good Day.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment