Sunday, June 21, 2020

Somewhere in the Vicinity of Emotion

171.

Per TOM’s scribbled memo, I call Warden Daniels. 

“Good afternoon Warden, hope you are enjoying a pleasant Colorado afternoon.” 

“Colonel Mason, good day to you sir. What can I do for you?” He says without a trace of good humor. 

“I was just in a meeting, chaired by the Senator, where we received updates on the program. In his brief the Senator mentioned that the two of you had a productive conversation, so I am following up to ensure all systems are a solid go for next week.” 

“Yes, well, the Senator called a few days ago to address a concern or two I had regarding the logistics of the test. I suppose you could say that it was productive in as much as we agreed to terms. That’s about all.” 

“I trust that you have reviewed the timeline we sent. Are there any logistical issues I can help with?”

“Yes, I have thoroughly reviewed the schedule of operations. There are a couple of minor security issues, house rules, that we need to implement, but nothing we can’t clarify before your arrival,” he states still feeling his way around the rare situation of his being ordered into action instead the other way around, “but we will be ready and prepared for your visit to our facility.” 

“Could you clarify the house rules that refer to security for me please, should I need to address them prior to the test.” 

“The most important being the number of staff you are planning on bringing. The directive states yourself and a small staff, we need to run background checks on whomever you are traveling with. I trust you understand the requirement for this,” he offers in a distant monotone. 

“At this time it will be myself and one other, our Director of Operations, Mr. Fieldstone, a GS15 civilian with top level security clearance. There is still the possibility that one other will be joining us, but her availability is subject to other pressing concerns in the Middle-East. I will advise you on any changes to this as intel comes available. Also I trust it clear that the actual demonstration will be witnessed by yourself and two of your staff. We, as you, are committed to the highest levels of security, we need to keep this as controlled as possible. Please ensure that the two of your staffers are one-hundred percent trustworthy for this sensitive assignment. This cannot leak. I am sure we agree on this.” 

“We do,” confirms the Warden instinctively. 

“Outstanding, I will keep you updated on the staffing. Thank you and I look forward to meeting you and conducting what I am sure you will find to be a most dramatic demonstration of modern military technology. You will be in for a wild ride into the history books, sir, I guarantee.” 

“Likewise, good day then,” he closes with a tone somewhere in the vicinity of honest emotion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment