Friday, May 11, 2018

It Must Stop



Yesterday my nephew and I spent a few moments before breakfast discussing race strategies for his first-ever 200 meter race. Dialogue via text. We covered some interesting ground including my suggested tactic of saving 5% of fuel stores for a final kick, distance of which would be declared by the leader. Be prepared to make it hurt a little and, as they say, leave it out there. He (semi) jokingly asked what if HE WAS the leader, what then? I felt that it was a positive and constructive conversation to start the day, filled with optimism and energy, traits I suspected might be transferable to scholastics as well as athletics. 

He went about his day and I mine. 

If you are among the tiny demographic following our story, you will know that yesterday was a success of sorts as I managed to get the Ranger’s new starter in, including the customized make-shift integrated solenoid copper pin connector attachment, a small but vital part the design and manufacturing success of which I was particularly proud. To say nothing of its delicate installation. There is nothing quite like the feeling one gets when the job has been buttoned-up and the key is turned, ahhhhhhh. The starter does its job on the first try, not the third or fourth as was the case prior to diagnosis and subsequent repair. I should send myself a bill, the generator cost me $300 a month ago, just as a reminder that a little grease under the fingernails is a small price to pay for such DIY satisfaction. 

I also began the Season 4 Episode 53 PowerBarn 2x20 video. Working title is The Cave, based upon the magnificent maxim from Joesph Campbell, “The cave one fears to enter, holds the treasure one seeks.” I am in need of new media, but I want to get this one wrapped before (hopefully) bringing back a treasure trove of video from the ToC trek, now just five days away.

To refresh, I will be joining the Tour of California in Stockton, CA., for the 5th stage of the event. Thursday’s route is a little flat, a little dusty and a little mundane. It runs 109 miles through some totally nondescript central California waste land (sorry Lodi and Turlock) to finish in Elk Grove, a town I have only driven through without stopping. None the less I will film whatever catches my eye and either the entire mens or womens course including the obligatory finishing sprints. Now standard strategy, sunrise and sunset time lapse capture is a challenge for even the most experienced location scout. 

Friday is the biggie. Folsom (great time lapse ops) to South Lake Tahoe (I should bring the drone). A grueling 123 miles and video-ops galore. The Ladies are also racing that day so I need to scout and research their route to determine the most scenic and plan accordingly. 

Saturday is a circuit course in and around Sacramento totaling just short of a century. I should be able to capture the same quality video in front of the capitol as I did back in my first try in 2008. That sequence remains one of my favorites. 

I fly out Saturday night, in order to make Sunday’s spin class at 0730. 

There is the broad strokes overview. I am looking forward to the challenge and a chance to rest and heal up for a few (three) days in the sun. 

Junior has yet to run a 200 meter event. There was a bomb-scare lock-down at the High School. 

Please do not allow the corrupt leadership (?) currently raping America to normalize the violence and overt racism we witness on a daily basis. This is NOT making America great, it is making America hate. 

And it must stop. 





No comments:

Post a Comment