Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Confucius



I use it as part of a bigger picture. A very important part that can be further divided into sub categories. One is health and fitness and the other the strategies for consistent execution, or good habits. In some circles, ones that I highly respect, these are known as disciplines. In the PowerBarn, our indoor cycling facility, be it ever so humble (no smoke and no mirrors), we have created a safe haven from the relentless lure of distraction. This glorious time of year in the Pacific Northwest the living is easy as we instinctively head outside for a ride, run or row under blue skies and warm temps. This has long been, after all, the basis for our indoor training in the drizzly winter months with their short days, slick roads and distracted drivers; to build the base fitness and power necessary for us to accomplish our summer cycling goals. 

And that satisfies many, perhaps most, of our group’s needs, wants and desires. But there is more, much more than simply that. I am becoming more and more aware of the changes taking place in my personal journey through this ‘experiment of one’. It has taken some time, not always pleasant time, to reach the realization that my goals have changed. Ten, twenty years ago my sole focus was in training for performance enhancements. I wanted to get faster and stronger because that is obviously necessary to achieve my racing goals. If one chooses a championship as goal - along with living in the Northwest - one must get a little creative. Build the character and discipline required to train in the rain, or learn to enjoy their indoor proxies. 

A quarter of a century ago I choose the latter. I distinctly remember a coach that I admired suggesting that I might consider becoming an indoor cycling instructor. Because, she laughed, you are going to spend a lot of time riding a stationary bike in a gym, you might as well get paid for it. 

That scenario became such a large part of me, and created such dramatic change, mental, physical and spiritual, that these days (this is borderline heresy I know) I prefer to ride indoors EVEN IN THE SUMMERTIME. Sure, we’ll take the annual epic rides and I’ll still race once or twice, but the general, garden variety, TRAINING rides, the 2-3 hour ones I used to build in my daily schedule, have been replaced by the comfort and convenience I find in the PowerBarn. Not so much because I don’t like riding outside but because it has established a slot in my routine that is etched in marble. I am in the PowerBarn Monday thru Friday at 5pm. This is non-negotiable. Everything else is built around this absolutely vital exercise as it has become the cornerstone in my quest for balance and growth. And you thought it was just spinning? 

Today this is more about staying fit, keeping healthy and doing whatever I can to keep the fitness I have worked my entire life for. It provides a solid foundation to build from. It is a discipline I wholly accept and have come to sincerely enjoy as part of who I am, and most importantly who I want to become. 

I will be in the PowerBarn every night this week. If your plans, time management considerations, personal responsibilities and structure balance includes, as it should, time for self improvement, carve out an hour and join me. 

Should you choose to train outdoors, enjoy the ride. I completely understand. Should you opt to add the components of consistency, intensity and opportunity, and to do it safely, conveniently and effectively, join me in the Barn. I see it as a service. It is also a dedication and a discipline, one that I gladly accept. To me, it has great meaning. There is purpose. It is important. It has, as anything must have to sustain, an allure I eagerly anticipate every day. It is like a silly joke you have heard a thousand times, but always makes you laugh none-the-less. 

Lastly, I feel compelled to add in closing that I am honored that so many outstanding individuals have come through our program. I have seen heroics, effort, commitment, struggle, joy and success, as well as each of their counterparts. I find this absolutely magical. The hours we have spent together has enriched my experience and added countless layers of value. I can honestly say that every person who has saddled up and spent time chasing whatever personal goal they have set for themselves, has brought something special to the mix. I am honored to have had a part in that experience, to have shared a step to two, a part of the path with so many fine people. And I thank you all for that. 

So I’ll be there tonight. It may be 80 degrees outside but for me the sun always shines brightest inside. I think Confucius said that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment