Thursday, May 10, 2018

Charge!


Being completely appalled by the bigger picture, my strategy is to stay focused and present in the now. Subliminally this might explain why creating videos and motorcycle maintenance appeal to me. There is a down side of course to sticking your head into the sand of the eternal present moment but more and more it seems that the goal of ‘world change’ is not just the metaphorical pipe dream, but merely the smoke. I cannot allow the slime and corruption currently spread like butter on the toast of humanity to further stress my soul as I consider the devastation it does, is doing and will do for years to come. It actually hurts my hears to hear. People are being killed, American people, our brothers and sisters, those not white, straight and male, and those not born to the upper caste. What is taking place in America today, at this point of history, after so many years of progress, growth and education, is absolutely fucking gross. 

Whomever said that to change the world one must first change him or herself, came very close. When Jesus, purportedly, said that he without sin may cast the first stone, and the popular cliche suggesting that we must do what we can, where we are and with what we have, all point in the direction of hope. 

What can I do? I can keep my sanity. I can discipline myself to fend off the relentless barrage of hate, the message of fear, the fascist brain washing technique currently the tactic of choice by the right-wing propaganda machine. I can support my family in doing likewise in the valiant attempt to create a larger body of consent. I can fight fire with water and not take the battle to the gutter as they desire, us against us, white against black and rich versus poor. I will not allow violence to become the rule of law. 

YET.

I can vote. My tiny voice is my democratic responsibility to ensure that the constitution remains the document of record, not replaced by the lies of some wannabe King in new clothes on parade taxing the poor and building retaining walls. Yes and I can promote peace - new tagline - Promoting Peace Since 1952. In 1952 Eisenhower was about to become POTUS 34 and famously predict on his departure that we should beware of the military/industrial complex. How Orwellian that one! 

Tactics today will include as much attention to mechanical detail as I can conjure and as much creative flow as I can unearth. Keeping focus on the task at hand, preventative maintenance on one and the birth of new media on the other, satisfies both my need for serenity and my want of meaning. Getting things done is simply a positive by-product along this path. Keeping fit and ready is another. 

That is the microcosm of today. The micro inside the macro. It may not change to world - but it most certainly will change me. 

Charge!



No comments:

Post a Comment