Sunday, May 20, 2018

Let it Flow



Two more, recent, examples of random cosmic input. 

I was enjoying a cerebral buzz upon entering the airport. I looked around and found nothing to assist with directions to the ticketing department. I rode the escalator up and then back down still searching for a sign to direct me to the ticket counter. With a slight tinge of irritation, please recall that I had just been the recipient of a $47.40 parking ticket, I try to counter the negative emotion by humming a bit of the last song I heard on the Sirius Grateful Dead station that was my musical companion for the almost 800 miles over the three days. I am humming Black Peter as a guy toting a ice cooler on wheels trots directly in front of me chanting, ‘one way or another, one way or another’. 

I sing ‘this darkness has got to give.’  We exchange glances that cement our understanding and seal the moment with nods of head. Weird, yes, odd, no. I get on the plane, fall asleep after listening to my neighbor in the center seat brag on his kid’s motocross talent and wake up in Seattle. 

Where partners in two-part physic harmony meet up again near baggage claim. We exchange notes and wish each other well as I begin the scramble to ferry terminal. I smile at the recall of the interaction.

Precious little light sleep, troubled by anxiety dreams where I had forgotten the user name and password of my pacemaker which was to shut down if not properly entered in 5 seconds, 4 seconds…..before hitting the carpet to prepare for the spin class I was subbing as part of a package deal that allowed the three days on tour to happen without the cost of a lost payday. 

I get to class, actually got an unsolicited, but highly appreciated, round of applause upon its completion, and head back to start video download. Two hours later over at Junior’s to lift. We pumped the 100lbs on the bench 59 times. That is almost 3 tons of pig iron. 

After our session I head to Safeway to restock the fridge. I buy eggs, swordfish steak for half price and fresh asparagus. As much as I wanted a beer, I refrained. 

Leaving the store the same busker whom I spotted walking in was now picking’ a very crisp electric banjo. I stop in my tracks clutching the fish, eggs and asparagus to listen closer. 

He is finger picking the build segment of Candyman, ‘won’t you tell everyone you meet that the Candyman is back in town, look out, look out’. I start to sing the high harmony and in falling, reach into my pocket to drop some cabbage in his case.

First time I ever heard that song on the banjo, great work my brother. 

He affirms the donation and mid-chord, slips in an ad-lib, ‘thank YOU my brother’, before heading back to the chorus. 

Sometimes ya just gotta let it go and let it flow. 

Pictured are my two Shadows, Black Peter and Candyman. 



No comments:

Post a Comment