Thursday, May 3, 2018

Learn to work the Saxophone




An update day. One of those moments when you have to rubber neck things to ensure their sequence, i.e., what have I missed, or what could I have done to improve the process. Use a cheaper part or the best available? Have the tools required or have access? Have a general understanding of the degree of difficulty or an expertise in one specific area, that might carry you through? Improve decision skills relating to cost/benefit analysis? Stay more centered and in the moment as project presents itself? Deal with ego deflation in a more enlightened manner? And the most important question perhaps, did I enjoy the ride and remember that should efforts prove unworthy, at the very least you addressed the total insignificance of what you once considered to be a situation of universal importance.

Whew! All that growth. Let’s take a closer look and see if we can spot any trends, other than the ones that I now hold a bias towards. 

RV. New alternator/generator replacement. New battery terminals, battery charged, fuses checked. Deacon Blues was playing on my portable device as I jumped into the drivers seat and turned the key. Nothing. Nada. I need a name when I lose. 

Honda: Oil and break fluid check, overall visual inspection of moving parts. Tighten accelerator cable. Metal on metal crunch still intermittent. Unreliable riding condition. 

Craig’s List: Found a steal of a deal on a 2005 VT600 with low miles. Sent the guy a text saying I could get there tomorrow (it is 100 miles North). One word response: Sold. Languid and bittersweet. 

Ranger. Front end is now shaking like a dog shittin peach pits. Brakes rattle and pull, starter is going fast, takes three tries to fire. Call me Deacon Blue. 

The good news, albeit tiny in comparison to my being one pot-hole away from my bike being sole method of transportation, is that I finished the David Brooks tome and the Joseph Campbell book on tape. I may not be able to wrench my way out of a paper bag, but at least I have a higher appreciation of character, honor, discipline, courage, mythology, and dharma. 

That Fiat 850 is hiding in the bushes somewhere just waiting for me to discover her. Until then.

I’ll learn to work the saxophone and play just what I feel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment