Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day



Decided late last night to take advantage of the wonderful weather and order up a scouting mission to Hurricane Ridge. After all I had washed the truck and my bike was already loaded in the back awaiting the giddy-yup command. I loaded the camera gear, a Go-Pro and a Canon Vixia along with assorted mounts, pods, cables and battery packs, stuffed my riding gear into a Kelty and was heading North by 0700. 

Called my sister in DC along the 90 minute drive and we chatted about The Post, Tom Robbins and the sad state of the state. 

I get to the site where we traditionally park and start only to find that the annual road re-surfacing work has begun, the lot is closed (and fenced) and that there is gravel, delays and danger for the next 5 miles. Darn.

I tweak riding plans, stay in the truck and crawl up the hill, stopping at scenic lookouts to shoot video and enjoy the brilliant sunshine. One spectacular Mothers Day! Along the 17 miles and 5,200 ft of elevation gain I am thinking that I might jump tradition and START from the top, blister the ride down and then slug out the return back up.  Almost immediately I see this idea as a 'not so good' one. 

To this moment I am not 100% certain as to why I decided not to. I could have, but did’t. Why?

On the drive home I did stop to buy potting soil and a Honeysuckle plant for my neighbor/landlord/friend/client/Mother. 

And as I ponder the deeply physiological intricacies as to my mountaintop decision (most likely pure laziness) I would like to wish everyone a Happy Mother’s Day.

Even if you are a Father or a Son.



No comments:

Post a Comment