Monday, May 21, 2018

Another Milestone



Hit a milestone of sorts today. Maybe it was my 20 hour fast on Thursday, or the next day’s 18, but whatever the total caloric intake from my whirlwind four days in Norcal, coupled with the two high-intensity spin classes and a hour hoisting free weights yesterday with Junior, I had to check the calibration on the balance-bar scale in the locker room today. 

It was telling me in precise non-verbal AI, that I was at 163 pounds. Wait, I left last Wednesday at 168, so I am supposed to believe that all the beers I downed, the stop at Denny’s and the bean burritos, with zero exercise other than walking and sitting behind the wheel of my Hyundai rental car, reduced my power-to-weight ratio by simple subtraction? 

Seriously?

As you are aware, both of you, this blog has long been a way for me to record trends, mostly, but not limited to, health and fitness, stress management, evolutionary growth, improvements, changes, mistakes, tweaks, refinements and moments of outright breakthrough clarity. I am still charting my progress as a graph, whether flying high in April or shot down in May. 

Since this IS May, I can honestly attest that the last few weeks have been exceptional. I feel great, even considering, cautiously, the possibility of a(another) return to the foot strike-trauma of the run. I should take another FTP test in the PowerBarn to ensure that the five pounds mysteriously lost while video-chasing Pro Cyclists at the 2018 Tour Of California wasn’t muscle. 

That would suck like an Electrolux. 

It came across the heads-up display of my consciousness this morning, like a crop duster toting a banner, the greatest waste in the world is the difference between what we are and what we could become.*

To me, my assessment, riddled with bias and with sanctimonious subjectivity, means:

More of everything. More intermittent fasting, more temperance, more forgiveness, more gratitude, more work, more smarter work, more reading, more risk, more love. 

The road, the path I have chosen to take, goes on. I have this nagging sensation, however, that the clock is running and time is running out, that the end, although not really near, is waiting around some not-too-distant corner. Which corner I don’t know. Where I have no clue. When matters little, as long as my focus, my actions and my daily improvements continue to trend positively. 

Another milestone. 

* Plane piloted and quote printed by Ben Herbster.



No comments:

Post a Comment