Monday, October 28, 2019

Would We Fight?





When it comes to leadership styles I am in the camp that adheres to the following aphorism:

“Accept that you will not be everyone’s cup of tea. There are people who will not appreciate your good intentions, style, intensity level, personality, approach, background, humor, set lists or choice of training attire. Conversely there will be people to whom you are a rock star, a saint and a leader of men. Let the former group go about their business, they are not ready for your level of energy. Put your time and passion into the latter group for they are your people.”

True enough. And I emotionally recognize the wisdom in this HOWEVER, it still stings when one you trusted with the keys to the club, loses one. 

Please remember that we are discussing something as seemingly casual and non-threatening as a spin class. Good natured folks coming in mid-morning (on Mondays) to get in an hour’s worth of spirited group training on an indoor, stationary bicycle. What could be more benign? 

Let us say that should you be in the group expecting big benefit from a middle of the road effort, you will be disappointed, drawing the comparison cleaner, should you be in the camp that gives maximal effort at every opportunity, inside or out, stationary or moving at break-neck speed through time and space, athletic or social, day or night, there is a space for you and your attitude in my class. And hence my life. 

Moving from one demographic to the other, the distracted to the aware, the lazy to the exemplary and the insouciant to the passionate, takes time, energy and dedication. It amazes me that so many consciously choose the path of least resistance, knowing full well that they are missing a magical growth opportunity. 

I was reminded of this reality yesterday morning as we rode to the final installment of a documentary on WWII, ending with the eventual surrenders of Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito. Two were by suicide. What I found interesting was the Japanese attempt at national gaslighting to resist the obvious intentions of the US to bomb the bejesus out of the land of the midnight sun. This tactic, after losing Saipan, Midway, Guadalcanal, Okinawa and Iwo Jima, yet before Hiroshima and Nagasaki, now looks ridiculous, but, Japanese state radio played over and over the words of Hideki Tojo saying that the Americans don’t have the stomach for a fight to the death, that they have cars, and TVs and are fat and lazy. He was wrong in 1945 but I wonder about today? We are spoiled. We do have every luxury. We give our collective powers away to corrupt politicians wanting the antithesis of ideals we hold dearly (see photo). Could the circumstance of a world war be repeated in the age of information? Under what condition would you fight for your principals? 

I firmly believe that the elements necessary for the employment of this type of bravery can be practiced. On a daily basis. We can show up, work hard, stay focused, improve. Or not. It is absolutely one hundred percent, completely and totally up to you. 

Be forewarned however that should you show up in my class, with all this at stake, and show me through your body language, or worse, as a distracting and counter-productive vocalization on any subject other than the immediate, I will call you on it. Because that is my style. And I consider it job one to show the way to the next level. I also believe it to be one of the most important things we can do to play a positive role in the stewardship of our planet and our eternal march towards global fellowship. 

You also have the right to dismiss this approach and choose someone with a more relaxed style. I encourage you to do so. I am not a rock star. I am not a saint. And I am not a mercenary leader of men. 

But I like their collective training styles and commitments to improvement. I also like their spirit and character. I like their attitude. Without these attributes the challenge of continual growth and achievement of goals is all but impossible. 

You can prove Tojo correct. 

Or prove yourself capable of being your best. Should you decide to sit on the fence please do so on your own time. We have a job to do.

Dismissed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment