Sunday, April 26, 2020

Love, Bogart

117.

We navigate the grid-like layout of Omaha making our way towards the safe house to set up operations, Drysdale at the wheel. Filling the short commute time with thought, it  takes me less than two minutes to come to the conclusion that I need a crash course in contemporary internet technologies. Without it, my advantage of strategically keeping one-step ahead, is lost. I understand the game, but not its rules, limitations or potentials. 

We arrive at what Drysdale has already code-named the Husker House, off-load the Expedition’s cargo and begin the routine chore of setting up shop. It is actually a rather charming old Tudor with a magnificent Spanish oak centered on the lawn. On the way to the front door I tuck the For Sale sign under my arm. 

The single most important piece of auxiliary equipment we carry is the surge-protector power strip. In no electrical engineer’s wildest dreams would the once standard four outlet, ungrounded, receptacle be totally insufficient. The second most important utility is the coffee maker. Once we establish our connections and stow gear I head to the galley and happily see a vintage Mr. Coffee along with a humidor of what appears to be fairly dark roast of what my initial olfactory test confirms to be French Roast. In the solid oak cabinet above the countertop I find a pair of mugs advertising the services of RE/MAX real estate with a somewhat pithy “Homes that Match” tagline. I am not one-hundred percent certain if they reference lifestyles or socks but I am pleased that we can match their mugs with our steaming fresh joe. 

I check in with TOM, now just two hours ahead of our Central Standard time, and ask for a conference call with the team, hosted by Julie, on the subject du jour; modern internet techniques and the path most likely to be taken by the MBI hackers. He concurs, and suggests we allow an hour for preparation and to allow the other team members to settle in to their temporary shelters. A 'Ted Talks' video presentation will be initiated in exactly one hour. 

It is my experience with these critical exchanges of information that, since they are immediately deleted upon completion, I need preparation myself and begin creation of a quick Textedit list of questions to have Julie answer or specifically ask of her upon the completion of her talk. The list includes:

How is Big Data militarized?
How does one counter the sowing of discord?
Provide an example of high-volume, multi channel propaganda.
Provide graphic exposition on the tactic of rapid, continual repetition.
Explain the ’not committed to objective reality’ idea.
How is the illusion of truth modified to fit a terrorist agenda?
How high does the current reach of corruption rise?
Is this ‘wag the dog?’

And lastly, what techniques will provide us with the highest probability of success in diverting their efforts, quickly and completely? 

In a moment of rash emotional sentimentality, I finish my notes with the complementary close; Love, Bogart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment